Welcome

As we say above, this is mainly for friends and family. Michael's blog on the Middle East can be found here. Most of our other links can be found below on the right, but be sure to keep up as well with our family website, here. We also have discussion groups for genealogy, links to genealogical information on us, and our (semi-private) Flickr and YouTube accounts for those who are invited. You can also get a quick-navigation guide here.

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Tam's impressions of Philadelphia

Well hello! Yes, it's been a while since I last wrote. But I just wanted to add my own brief impressions of our wonderful trip to Philadelphia, and if time permits, offer another life-saver recipe that Sarah loves.

All in all, I thought we ended up visiting Philly at just the right time. Gorgeous fall foliage was still on the trees, and on the ground, we enjoyed a beautiful drive into downtown Philly on Saturday morning along the Schuylkilll River, the hills were just covered with golden-laden leaves, and the ground was covered with them, too. The air was very crisp and clear, cold but invigorating. I had forgotten how lovely and stimulating the autumn is in the north. (I regard Philly as the North, whereas I live in northern Virginia, to me, the South). That ride alone, to me, was worth the trip.

Even as Fall still surrounded Philly, though, Christmas holiday signs of cheer were everywhere as well. Driving in the dark on Friday night, to our hotel (Hampton Inn) in King of Prussia, along highway 676, on our right the houses went right down to the Schuylkill River's edge, and their outlines of the roofs, windows and doors facing the water had all been festooned with white Christmas lights. Just stunning. I was so glad we were able to see that!

The downtown streets were decorated with Christmas street lights and wreaths. I felt good all weekend, being in Philly. I liked the surroundings, yes, it is a gritty town, but I really like the sense of "realness" the comes across in interactions with the Philadelphians. There's no, or at least very little, pretense. (Unlike in Washington.) Philly is this magnificent mix of history, intellectual life (there seem to innumerable colleges, universities, special schools and academies, etc.), down to earth city life, and rich cultural activities. A very wooing blend to me.

No comments: