Welcome

As we say above, this is mainly for friends and family. Michael's blog on the Middle East can be found here. Most of our other links can be found below on the right, but be sure to keep up as well with our family website, here. We also have discussion groups for genealogy, links to genealogical information on us, and our (semi-private) Flickr and YouTube accounts for those who are invited. You can also get a quick-navigation guide here.

Friday, April 18, 2008

Catching Up -- Again

Okay. The laptop is back up, after a week of adventures, and that makes it a bit easier to post. I don't have to run downstairs where the desktop is and be a recluse from my family to post. It was one of those Catch 22 situations. I got a registry problem in Windows ME (yes, I know; I'm thinking of putting XP on it before they take it off the market just in case the laptop survives a while longer, since ME is useless and it will never be able to run Vista) on this ancient laptop that dates from 2001. I needed a boot disc. Couldn't find mine. Downloaded what I needed from the Internet to a CD, but because my CD drive is unreliable (typical flimsy CD drive on a laptop, needs a lot of loving care to load these days), it wouldn't boot properly. So I needed a floppy boot disc. But the versions I downloaded would not let me copy to a flash drive: only to a floppy. My desktop has no floppy drive. So I ordered from Amazon a Sony floppy drive for about $25. With shipping, about $32, got it Thursday, and got the laptop back up. A cheaper fix than taking it into a geek place, but nevertheless, left me without a laptop for nearly a week. Oddly, it's amazing how dependent you become. How you resent having to walk downstairs to transfer money from one bank account to another! I'm old enough to remember when you actually had to go to the bank to do that. Now I resent going to the basement. We're betwixt and between Sarah's eighth birthday and her first communion (a week from tomorrow) so I should be posting more, and hopefully now that I have my upstairs portal available again, I can.

And I do feel as if I accomplished something by fixing it myself.

No comments: