Welcome

As we say above, this is mainly for friends and family. Michael's blog on the Middle East can be found here. Most of our other links can be found below on the right, but be sure to keep up as well with our family website, here. We also have discussion groups for genealogy, links to genealogical information on us, and our (semi-private) Flickr and YouTube accounts for those who are invited. You can also get a quick-navigation guide here.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

More First Communions Past


It's after midnight and I should be quitting, but continuing to put up some first communion memorabilia: Here's what we think is a picture of Tam's Mom (Mary Boylston Mehuron) and her first communion group. She's the girl on the left in the front row. (For all these pictures clicking on the image will give you a blown-up version.)

And, below, the priest who gave me my first communion, Father James J. Holmes. Later, I became an altar boy and served Mass for him (and for his successor); I remember him well though I'm quite sure he's been gone for many years. He was sweet man so far as I can remember him, but like most priests and all nuns in those days (the 50s) he seemed something almost alien to me. I was always surprised when I saw priests or nuns driving cars. It seemed to make them human, and it was hard to think of them that way. Any Catholic who wasn't around in those days will think this sounds crazy, I'm sure. Pre-Vatican II was different. That's me and Linda, of course, with him.

Do the cars in the background date me, or what? They're classics now, but what does that make me?

No comments: