Welcome

As we say above, this is mainly for friends and family. Michael's blog on the Middle East can be found here. Most of our other links can be found below on the right, but be sure to keep up as well with our family website, here. We also have discussion groups for genealogy, links to genealogical information on us, and our (semi-private) Flickr and YouTube accounts for those who are invited. You can also get a quick-navigation guide here.

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Remembering Johnny Rose's Grocery Store in Joplin

Every now and then meandering about in the Internet one stumbles on something that awakens deep, old, nearly forgotten memories. Because the Internet lets one read one's hometown newspaper, I do so from time to time. The Joplin Globe, my hometown paper.

Somebody wrote in about the old Johnny Rose grocery store at the corner of 18th and Connor in Joplin. If y0u click on the link, you'll see that I posted a short comment to the letter. "Johnny's" was a place I remember extremely well. Read the post at the link or the rest may make little sense to you.

The earliest home I remember was at 912 West 16th Street in Joplin, on 16th between Connor and Bird, or just about two blocks from Johnny's store. When I was in the third grade (Sarah's current age and grade) we moved to 1618 Murphy, maybe three blocks from Johnny's. Johnny's was an old time mom and pop grocery: no refrigerated cases I can remember, just bulk groceries and, the key point, a big glass cabinet up front with candy and gum and a coke case. Across the street was the Lafayette public school, and Johnny's was, as the letter writer notes, a retreat and resource for the kids at Lafatette, I went to the Catholic school, but Johnny's was still the place to go for candy, baseball card bubble gum (Topps of course), and other treats. In an age before convenience stores these little neighborhood groceries were the convenience stores. And as I note in my comment, after a certain age, in that era when predators and child molesters were unheard of, I was allowed to walk to Johnny's on my own.

Johnny knew everybody by name. He was a classic old-style grocer. (Did he have a mustache? I'm not sure but part of me wants to think so. Black hair, usually in a white grocer's outfit I think.) The store was an old-time frame building with a (concrete or wood?) front porch. When you walked in there was the big candy case right in front of you, a coke case on one side, the big red refrigerated tub kind, and groceries on shelves around the walls. Just maybe there was a meat case in the back but I wouldn't swear to it now.

As the letter writer notes eventually Johnny moved to Range Line Road, Joplin's "bypass" which became its main shopping district. I don't think I went to the new store more than once or twice, just to say hello. I don't know when he went out of business.

Odd what ancient memories the Internet can surface. Johnny Rose, no doubt long gone, will be somewhere in my subconscious as long as I live.

.

No comments: